South Africa is drawing increasing numbers of medical tourists looking for the highest quality treatment, especially for cosmetic surgery procedures. World-class plastic surgeons and clinics offer treatment packages for those patients looking for breast augmentation, liposuction, facelifts, and more. South Africa is an especially popular medical tourism destination for British clients, as prices for cosmetic treatments in the UK have become prohibitive for most people. In addition to the world-class cosmetic facilities, addiction treatment centers offer privacy and security, and boast high success rates. Orthopedic surgery facilities and excellent fertility clinics are also found in South Africa.
While in South Africa, tourists can enjoy spectacular beaches and scenery. Natural wonders, including caves, diamond mines, and waterfalls can be explored during day trips. Exciting safari adventures and whale watching trips are available as well. English is commonly spoken, though the culture is rich with many languages and dialects.
Find top medical care for a variety of specialties, including all cosmetic procedures, at Bay View Hospital, Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital and Kingsbury Hospital. The Carter Gordon Clinic is known for its addiction and recovery programs. Pretoria Eye Institute is Africa’s largest eye specialist hospital.
South Africa Factoids
• The world’s first heart transplant was performed in South Africa in 1967 by Dr. Chris Barnard.
• South Africa contains some of the oldest archaeological sites in Africa, with artifacts and evidence dating back three million years.
• The 2,500 km coastline runs along two different oceans.
• Medical tourism, game reserves, and wineries contribute significantly to South Africa’s growing economy.
• South Africa has the oldest meteor scar in the world, dating back two million years.